17.9.08

Sophie Theallet proves that black is still in vogue




Back to the race old debate and NYWeek (everyone is in London Week now), I was happy to see that using an all black model cast didn't end with July's Black Issue of Italian Vogue; Sophie Theallet had a cast of only black models for her entire Spring 2009 NY show which included runway regulars like Atong Arjok and Hollis Wakeema. I would have also loved to see Chanel Iman and Jourdan Dunn included in the line up.

At first I thought it was a gimmick but then I realised that gimmick or not, it was good. This dispelled the myth that black girls, don't look good on or that they "don't sell" runway clothes. According to style.com, Sophie Theallet says the only reason she used the girls, was that she thought the colours would "look amazing on dark skin", they indeed looked lovely.

I wish all designers would cast on those basis of who flatters the garment or if the model is a professional. I don't want to see an all-black or an all-white show, let it be on what's looks great on the clothes, fashion should always be the winner.

Photo courtesy of style.com

No comments:

Post a Comment